Part of the SLS Focus on Conveyancing Series
The Surrey Law Society was delighted to offer members the opportunity to attend a webinar on 'Issues facing the Conveyancing Sector', which was presented by Ian Quayle, Director of iq legal training Ltd.
The lockdown has had a huge impact on us all and will continue to do so. Whilst our attention is drawn to a variety of other important issues, continuing professional development remains available, via online platforms.
With that in mind, this webinar will be extremely useful for anyone dealing with live residential conveyancing transactions or likely to receive new instructions, which are to be progressed during lockdown.
It will deal with the following issues -
• Government advice for clients, estate agents, and conveyancers
• When live transactions can be progressed – critical transactions, transactions where the target property is unoccupied
• Where contracts have been exchanged and completion set for a date within lockdown
On this latter point, it will highlight a number of important areas –
1. The availability of the variation agreement generated by the Law Society
2. The need for caution in using the agreement given that it does not cover every situation.
3. Things to look out for within the variation agreement.
4. Changes to be made to procedures on exchange of contracts and undertakings
5. The need to ensure clients are made aware of the choices available to them such as varying the original contract using the variation agreement, agreeing a deferral, or proceeding to completion despite the current situation.
Ian qualified as a solicitor and worked in private practice for 12 years specialising in property law matters generally including residential development work, commercial acquisitions and disposals.
Since 1998 he worked in house and as a consultant for national house builders and national and international property developers advising on all aspects of property, landlord and tenant, transactional and management issues.
For the last 16 years Ian has provided training to the legal profession throughout England working for some of the most prominent providers of legal training as well as providing training privately to firms and organisations. This has in the main been provided via in house courses, public courses, and conferences. In addition Ian delivers webinars for a number of training providers.
Ian has delivered over 1,500 training courses (all property related) for city and regional firms, local law societies, and local authorities.
Stewart Title Limited (www.stewarttitle.co.uk) has over 20 years’ experience working with lawyers to provide Title Indemnity Insurance.
Cover can be provided by bespoke policies underwritten by our widely experienced Underwriters who can advise as to the availability of insurance for a whole range of title problems, both complex and otherwise. Where the defect is unusual or uncommon we can tailor a policy to meet client’s requirements.
Online cover is available through our new intuitive, easy to use ordering system Stewart Online Solution (www.stewartsolution.com) which allows users to access policies for both residential and commercial properties providing cover up to £5,000,000. For a demonstration of the system please call 02070107821.
Working closely with our colleagues in other jurisdictions, we can provide policies to cover properties in Scotland, Isle of Man and Northern Ireland.
Stewart Title Limited is fully regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.