Overview of the Vacancy
TWM Solicitors LLP require a Chartered Legal Executive or Fee Earning Paralegal to undertake fee earning work in residential Landlord and Tenant litigation.
The role will be working on one of TWM’s offices (subject to capacity and location of candidate) managing, maintaining and developing the Firm’s work in Landlord and Tenant litigation; particularly residential possession proceedings, enforcement (including evictions) and service charge recovery. It is envisaged that the successful candidate will take on the Firm’s current workload of such work (including servicing significant property portfolios from the Firm’s property clients) with a view to maintaining, developing and intimately growing those relationships and workload, as well as seeking new work from other sources. The candidate will be required to work with the Firm’s existing staff, in its Epsom office, initially in order to ensure a smooth hand over of work and files. After that time, the candidate could be located in any office location, subject to capacity and approval of senior management).
Work will be from both commercial clients and private individuals. The candidate will be expected to support other teams within the Firm in their litigation requirements, to source work from existing clients and referrers, as well as develop new relationships. The Firm considers there is good scope to expand its current work in this area.
The candidate will be expected to work independently on such matters, with sole conduct of relevant files, seeking supervision from senior members of the Department where appropriate. The candidate will be expected to show a willingness to impress the Firm’s current clients and referral base, as well as pro-actively developing their own.
The candidate is expected to be well organised, with a keen eye for detail (needed in service of property notices and claims) and a high standard of file management and self-sufficiency is expected, without non-fee earner support.
The candidate may be called upon to assist in respect of other claims, where appropriate, or expand their knowledge and workload into new areas of dispute resolution if appropriate. The successful candidate will also be expected to pro-actively contribute to the office in which they are based, as well as meeting the expected standards of practice development, financial control and regulatory matters.
– A Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives OR
- Institute of Paralegals qualifying route
: You will be a Qualified Paralegal having completed Level 6 of studies which requires a minimum of 2 year’s practical legal experience (which TWM requires to be in the specialist area of law in which you are practising OR
- CLT Specialist Paralegal Course route
: You will have completed the one year course and, during that time, will have gained a further 2 years of practical legal experience in the specialist area of law in which you are practising OR
- Graduate route
: As a Fee Earning Paralegal TWM requires you to be a law Graduate (and preferably an LPC/BVC graduate) with 2 years’ practical legal experience in the specialist area of law in which you are practising.
Essential personal qualities and attributes
- Able to achieve targets set for Chartered Legal Executives/Paralegals in respect of chargeable hours, fees, recovery rate, lock-up and non-chargeable time.
- Pro-active in developing a client/referrer base, as well as maintaining and improving relationships with current referrers and clients.
- Pro-actively identifies opportunities to refer work to other departments.
- Demonstrates a consistent willingness to become involved in activities of the Firm outside of those of normal work.
- Recognises importance of practice development and willingness to become involved.
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of, and alignment with, the values of the Firm.
- Demonstrates a high level of courtesy and respect in dealing with all colleagues, including Central Management, Finance, IT, HR and Marketing and clients/key business introducers, etc.
- Willingness to work independently on own caseload
- Enthusiastic, committed and hard working
- Essential skills, knowledge and abilities (Competencies)
- Good level of competence in residential Landlord and Tenant litigation (and a sufficient understanding and awareness of all relevant areas of law as appropriate), including residential possession proceedings, enforcement and service charge recovery.
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail
- Sound training
- Well-developed interpersonal, social and communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Computer literate with an ability to develop its use in own functional area
Desirable skills, knowledge and abilities (Competencies)
- Prior knowledge of Evolution or other office management systems
- Prior knowledge of Lexcel requirements
- Significant experience in dealing with Landlord and Tenant litigation
In return we offer:
- A 37.5 hour working week
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Private Medical Cover
- Contributory pension scheme (5% from employer, 3% from employee)
- Life assurance – 4 x annual salary
- Annual bonus scheme (payable in November)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Travel to Work loan scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Payment of Professional Subscriptions
- Career Development Plans
- Study Support
- Long Service Awards
If you are interested, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
TWM Solicitors (www.twmsolicitors.com) is an Equal Opportunities Employer. No agencies please